Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Read Before You Feed!

If your pup is milling between your legs begging for a treat, you might wonder if it’s okay to pop him a grape from your fruit salad bowl.The answer, unfortunately, is a big resounding NO!

Can dogs eat grapes?

can dogs eat grapes (1)

Dogs may not be fed grapes under any circumstances.

It is hard to believe that the sweet and delicious little grape you love and probably can’t live without is extremely harmful to your dog. Dogs should never eat grapes or raisins. If they do, it usually requires an emergency trip to the vet.

Several substances have been examined to determine the toxic nature of grapes. These include herbicides and pesticides. Many possibilities have been ruled out, and in a true sense, the exact composition of a grape that causes toxicity remains a mystery.

Now, dogs of any age, gender, or even breed can easily be affected.

It causes serious complications, which can lead to kidney failure. Of course, this is not seen immediately and may develop over time. There is also no clear indication why the toxins are more severe in some dogs compared to others.

The amount they ingest and the level of hurt it can cause to your dog depends largely on your dog’s size and weight. Raisins are much more concentrated than fresh grapes and are therefore more dangerous.

Symptoms of grape toxicity in a dog

can a dog eat grape

Dogs who have ingested grapes or raisins might show a multitude of symptoms, and you should be observant of the following:

Vomiting and/or diarrhoea

These will occur a few hours after eating the grape, and the fecal contents plus vomit will contain pieces of the grapes that were ingested.

Lethargy

Unusual sleepiness and quietness, and the dog will appear weak.

Oliguria

The passing of small quantities of urine at a time

Anuria

The failure of kidneys to produce urine

Additional symptoms may include:

  • a loss of appetite
  • dehydration
  • abdominal pain
  • tremors
  • foul breath
  • oral ulcers
  • coma
  • seizures
  • fluid cessation
  • depression
  • breathing difficulty
  • kidney failure.

Death is also a possibility, but this depends on the amount consumed.

So, yes, grapes can kill a dog.

However, the body has to process and absorb the grapes, so death may not be instantaneous. Time is of the essence, and if you suspect your dog has ingested some grapes, rush to the vet immediately.

Immediate action to take if your dog ate grapes

If your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, it will be classified as an emergency case.

If you suspect your dog may have eaten some grapes or raisins in the last 2 hours, the first thing you should do is to INDUCE VOMITING as soon as possible, before the toxins in the fruit have time to be absorbed in the system.

DO NOT, however, induce vomiting if:

  • your dog is unconscious
  • he/she is having trouble breathing
  • he/she is exhibiting signs of shock or severe distress
  • if you are unsure of what he consumed.

In case the dog has already vomited, then do not force him to try and vomit again. Call the veterinarian for advice. If they recommend that you should induce vomiting, then do the following:

  • If your dog has not eaten in the last 2 hours, give him a small meal. Doing this will make it more likely for the dog to vomit but may not be essential if he is not interested in food.
  • Measure 1 ml of hydrogen peroxide 3% per pound of dog’s weight, using a syringe or teaspoon, and give it to your dog. The maximum amount you can give of hydrogen peroxide at a time is only 45ml, regardless of the weight of the dog.
  • Squirt some hydrogen peroxide at the back of the dog’s mouth using a syringe or turkey baster.
  • If he does not vomit 15 minutes after the first administration, you can try again using the same dosage. This method should not be used more than twice.

Treatment at the vet’s offices

dog ate grapes then got to the vet

If the dog does not vomit after administering the hydrogen peroxide twice, do not again induce vomiting. Go straight to your veterinarian for further assistance, and do not try to use something else that you think is stronger than hydrogen peroxide.

When you get to the vet, if the dog did not vomit at home, he will try and induce that first using his methods. He will do a gastric lavage, which is washing out the stomach, and will be followed by the administration of activated charcoal to absorb any remaining toxins.

He will then begin an intravenous fluid therapy that will flush out the toxins from the bloodstream and encourage the dog’s kidneys to produce urine. If necessary, he may give the dog medication to reduce the vomiting and maintain the kidney functions.

The doctor will keep a close eye on the dog’s kidney functions with constant and regular bloodwork checks. In case the kidneys have failed to the point where they do not produce urine, the prognosis at this point is grave, and hemodialysis is necessary to support the life of your pup until his kidneys can recover.

In extreme cases, a kidney transplant may be an option.

Last nugget on grapes and dogs

The easiest way to prevent grapes poisoning in dogs is to keep grapes and raisins out of their reach. This is because dogs have been known to ingest almost anything.

Ensure that everyone in the household understands the danger of toxins and other foods that have been known to be dangerous to dogs.